Connect.. Build and EmpowerConnect.. Build and Empower organizations to change lives across the world!
At Opportunity Hack you can network, share ideas and build innovative solutions that enable impact and social innovation! Come with an idea or join a team that will hack solutions for any of the problem statements listed by our partnering non-profits!
Our Fifth Annual Opportunity Hack will open up soon for all Bay Area participants. We invite all the employees of PayPal, Cisco, Intuit and alumni of Coding Dojo who are partnering along with university students to bring this year's Opportunity Hack. Check in will be from 8:00 AM until 9:00 AM PST on Oct 28th. Please note that ONLY THE FIRST 200 participants will be allowed to register.
At 9:00 AM PST we'll have our opening keynote address.
Then the fun begins! Our non-profits will have an opportunity to pitch their ideas to all the participants. We'll be moving this along quickly so that we can move into team building. You can bring a whole team, but if you don't, we're pretty good at facilitating team formation. This is the part of the program that people tend to be the most nervous about, but it all works out. We've done it successfully a bunch of times and we'll make sure you get hooked up.
Please note that the pitch session will be at 9:35 am and it will only be non-profits pitching ideas.. If you have an idea that you have would like to hack at the event for please see the rules around participant submitted ideas.
11:00 a.m. It's time to get your Hack On! You have from now until 3:00 p.m. on Sunday to present a MVP of the project! We're providing meals and snacks and support around the clock.
3:00 p.m. on Sunday it's time to let the keyboard rest. You'll want to have your prototype ready for a three minute presentation with some Q&A.
This will be followed by offline sessions all the way till 11/03 with a Happy Hour on 11/01
On the Judging Day, Theater Style Presentation to the judges with a Happy Hour to wrap it up. That would be the end of the Hackathon.
- 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM Participant and NPO registration
- 9:30 AM Opening Ceremony & Keynote Address
- 9:35 AM Jimmy Wong from Intuit will speak for 5 minutes
- 10:30 AM Project Pitches
- 11:30 AM Team-Project Assignment
- 12:00 AM Hackathon Begins
- 12:30 PM Lunch
- 2:00 PM Game-1
- 4:00 PM Devpost submission, Git repo submission, Git repo info, project info, team member info submission by mentors to OHCT members
- 6:00 PM Dinner
- 9:00 PM Ice cream, Games
- 12 AM Pizza
- HACK THROUGH THE NIGHT - Bring whatever you need to sleep comfortably...as long as it's not a bed.
- Midnight: Pizza served
- 7:00 AM Breakfast
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Prashanthi to conduct CDI for NPOs
- 12:00 PM Lunch
- 4:00 PM Teams demo their progress thus far
- Mentor checkin to OHCT
- 5:00 PM Bye until Wednesday Happy Hour
- 4:30 Registration
- 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Teams demo their progress thus far
- Acceptance criteria evaluation
- Mentor checkin with core team
- 5:00 PM Happy Hour
- 2:30 Registration
- 2:30 Coffee
- 3:00 - 5:00 Theatre-style Presentation
- 5:15 PM - 5:45 PM Judging/deliberation
- 5:15 PM - 5:45 PM Happy Half Hour/ Gabe DJ
- 5:45 PM Closing
- 6:00 PM Prizathon!!!
- Citizen Schools California : They are looking for an app that a child in middle school can use to answer a social/emotional growth related asseement question that a teacher can ask using the app. The teacher then analyse the result and will use that data to focus on that particular behavioural/social- emotional problem that the child is going through. Survey monkey does not make it appealing for the child to come out and fill out the survey on a computer the app will hopefully attract the child and get answers on the phone. Also, Survey Monkey does not provide the ability to setup a survey on the spot. This app would give them acces to the set of questions through the app instantly. (We need to confirm this with them if they want it real time). Impact - All schools in CA will be able to use this app in thier after school programs becuase all schools have been working on social emotional skills learning - especially in middle schools. We need to figure out how we could make this scalable and attractive.
- The Bread Project - Trainee Bake Sale - Create an online retail portal/e-commerce platform, integrated with webpage to showcase social enterprise products & services. 1. Shopping cart integration for the SKUs they have today and in the future 2. Seasonal sales/bulk order support 3. Integration with salesforce for their business process for order fulfillment 4. online payments
- The Bread Project - Manage profiles of job seekers - Build system to connect job opportunities to graduates. They are looking for a project which would help create workers there profiles and make it available for vendors to review.Based on there skills and availability, they would get a call/interview.She also mentioned that most of the workers are immigrants and are not very fluent in english. Hence they want a way to translate.
- Give Light Foundation (1) - Volunteer sign up and management processes. Volunteers are recruited through word of mouth and through search hits. People sign up online by filling out a form. They also sometimes email Give Light Today the process is adhoc. The online application requires manual-follow-up Excel doc with volunteer information
- Give Light Foundation (2) - Automate volunteer match up based on different parameters.The online application requires manual-follow-up, Excel doc with volunteer information Variables for matching - Geography, skills, timeframe. This project is scoped to automatically match the skills of the volunteers.
- Food Craft Institute - Enabling distance learning for the underserved.
- EARN Inc - Utilize SMS to integrate into existing solution to interact with users to enable 1:1 and 1:many interactions to increase overall engagement and overall savings rates.
- City Of Sanjose(1) - As repairs happen in various parts of the city, it is hard to get status of the completion of the work. Many times the work is behind or ahead of schedule. The project is to track the status of these repairs in real-time. Evaluation of the best channel for adoption needs to be done - waze, My San Jose app, etc. are some options. We might need to scope this to tracking closures of a specific kind - like intersections. The problem statement is quite open at this point and part of the solve will be brainstorming on various ideas.
- City Of Sanjose(2) - Crowdsource, track, and communicate road closures. The project is to measure the impact of a city-led program to promote walking. Today there is no clearly defined way for the city to measure how well their Walk n Roll program is doing. Some of the potential data sources to measure the impact could be police reports data and data from schools. Part of the problem is to brainstorm on how best to gather this data from the public. Ideal outcome here is an automated process of measuring how many people are participiating the the program. Part of the program is to also make the beighborhoods safe for walking so there might be something for tracking any incidents during walks as well.
- Ushahidi - They are looking for some kind of a chatbot that can automatically fill out a survey and instant locatingof the resource for various needs. They have done a prototype using facebook messanger and launched it as a sample to test it in production. Got good feedback.They are looking to enhance this feature and make its presence across all the chat channels like facebook messanger, website, twitter, sms etc. Whatever data is collected through any one tool should be crowd sourced and populated live for anyone in need. Ex: Reporters.
Please keep checking for more here and on SLACK
We will update more information in the coming days. Please check this space later this week for more updates.
Please bring your employee badge / Valid ID Card along while coming onsite for the event
For rest of the information,See official rules.
- It should be a 4-5 member team
- All members of team should have registered on DevPost and are added to the project submission.
- Links to GitHub, and video or presentation must be included in project submission.
- At least two members of team will be present in person for demo to judges.
How to enter
- At this time, Opportunity Hack San Jose is open to Bay Area Hackers, and along with PayPal, Cisco, Intuit employees and Alumini of Coding Dojo Bootcamp.
- Join Opportunity Hack San Jose on DevPost
- Come to the event with a team or we will help you build a team of like minded folks.
- Bring along a photo id while registering at the hack
Site Captain and Lead Instructor for Coding Dojo's San Jose campus
Harbrinder S Kang
Vice President, Corporate Social Responsibility at Cisco Systems
Director Product Management – Developer Platform at Intuit
Software Development Manager at PayPal
How big an impact will your solution have on the community? Key things that are important are * Scale of the problem being solved * Potential reach * Productivity gains - 10 points
In order to be successful you need to be able to demonstrate and market your solution so that it can succeed long term– 10 points
Displaying innovative solutions to the problems. Do you solve the problem in a novel way? Can you create a solution that is cohesive across different areas or technologies? - 10 points
Accessible by the Target User Base
It’s crucial that the target user base actually has access to the technology in question. Can you articulate the capabilities and limitations of your userbase? Does your product fit within those capabilities or work around them? - 10 points
The projects need to be able to move from "proof-of-concept" to working project. Is your architecture and technology extendable by others? Can the project be tuned to meet different or changing needs?– 10 points
Open Source Software
Open source solutions allow for a wider variety of contributors to be able to improve, extend and build upon. Does your project leverage open source software or libraries? Is your project in github? – 10 points
Cover all categories
All teams must get atleast 1 point in all the above categories. Getting a 0 in any one category will mean they are not eligible to win